D3 Week: Megan's D3 Experience

The MIAC is celebrating 2014 NCAA Division III Week, which runs April 7-13. The MIAC Media Blog will feature a series of blog posts throughout the week from MIAC staff and student-athletes as part of the celebration. MIAC Assistant Director Megan Gaard kicks it off by sharing her Division III experience.

By Megan Gaard

Being a well-rounded person is something I strive to achieve on a daily basis. I think that is why I had such a positive experience as a Division III student-athlete at Gustavus. I was fully able to capture the essence of Division III by competing at a high level in athletics, participating in a variety of clubs on campus, creating meaningful relationships with my peers and professors and receiving a highly accredited bachelor's degree. The MIAC has found the perfect balance between quality academics and high-achieving athletics that prepares student-athletes for success in college and far beyond.

Because my experience as a Division III student-athlete had such a positive impact on my life, it makes perfect sense to me why I chose a career in Division III athletics within the MIAC. Working in the conference office, I am fortunate to play a small role in the MIAC student-athlete experience and that is invaluable to me. As a proud alum of the conference, I now have the unique opportunity to serve its membership in an administrative role. 

In this position, I have come to find the MIAC is made up of quality people that value the Division III philosophy. Although the MIAC contains 13 different institutions, the student-athlete experience remains at the core of all their values. I am fortunate to work with student-athletes, fans, coaches and administrators that make the MIAC one of the best Division III conferences in the nation.

Although Gustavus is my alma mater, I now root for all MIAC student-athletes in hopes that their collegiate experiences are as positive and well-rounded as mine.

MIAC Celebrates Division III Week
In addition to the MIAC blog series throughout the week, the conference and its members will celebrate 2014 NCAA Division III Week in a number of ways. To track all the action throughout the week, visit the MIAC's Division III Week Home Page.

The MIAC also put up a new video on YouTube today to kick off Division III Week (embedded below). Check the blog and home page throughout the week for additional content to celebrate a great week throughout the Division. If you are a MIAC student-athlete and would like to contribute a guest blog, or you'd like to let us know about a Division III Week celebration or event on your campus, email me at: mgaard@miacathletics.com.

Happy Division III Week, MIAC friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or a question! (All are subject to moderation)