D3 Week - Megan Gaard, MIAC

April 6-12, 2015, is NCAA Division III Week. To continue the MIAC's celebration, MIAC Assistant Director Megan Gaard reflects on her experiences as a Division III student-athlete and administrator.

DIVISION III AT HEART

By Megan Gaard, MIAC

Megan Gaard
As I reflect back on my time as a student-athlete in the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (MIAC), I am reminded why I have such a strong passion for the Division III experience. While at Gustavus Adolphus College, the emphasis placed on the "well-rounded" experience afforded me the opportunity to compete as a two-sport student-athlete while participating in several other aspects of campus life including GACTV, Gustavus Ambassadors, a J-Term study abroad, and Student-Athlete Volunteer Educators (SAVE) while pursuing a Communication Studies Major. It is through these organizations and experiences that I was able to foster meaningful relationships and why I still feel so connected to my alma mater years later.

The MIAC is a special conference to be a part of because of the high level of athletics, strong emphasis on academics and overwhelming support of student-athlete well-being from campus athletic administrators, coaches and staff. Working as the Assistant Director for the MIAC over the past two years, has given me an even greater understanding of the hard work and efforts put forth by athletic coaches and administrators to provide a positive and impactful experience for all student-athletes. Those involved at this level participate for the love of the game and the positive experience it can provide and for that I am forever grateful.

Division III week is a time to celebrate the unique student-athletes that participate at this level and highlight their achievements in sport, in the classroom and in life. I am, and always will be, a proud advocate of Division III and I fully embrace the missions and values at the forefront of the MIAC. I want to thank Division III athletic administrators for making the positive student-athlete experience a reality, and thank the student-athletes for carrying out the missions of Division III with integrity and passion.

Happy Division III Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or a question! (All are subject to moderation)